Friday, November 30, 2007



This was a very good book. I'm glad I read it. Definitely a young girl with perseverance. I loved all of the characters in this book. I really didn't know what to expect after reading the back and reading that the girl spent time living in a Walmart store. I even think I'd like to see the movie now. Where have I been? It came out in 2000 and starred Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman.

I usually steer away from Oprah club books as I read Mother of Pearl almost 10 years ago and did not care for it one bit. I thought it was a horrible book. I've noticed over the years too that her books are always gigantic books. I picked up a book from my nightstand (I Know This Much Is True, by Wally Lamb) that also happens to be an Oprah pick and it's 900 pages long - are you kidding me. I'm not impressed. I read for the enjoyment, the escape and pleasure of reading. I read pretty fast and like that I can move onto the next story. Her latest pick is The Pillars of the Earth - guess how many pages - 973! But I did have a girlfriend tell me that she really enjoyed the book I Know This Much Is True, so I plan to start it next - If I can ever finish - Life of Pi......Or maybe I should wait for it to come out in theatres in 2009....

No comments: